York City Vs Chester FC Match Report

A melee after the final whistle marred an excellent hard fought win for York City against Chester. This battle of 2 well known former football league clubs had ended 2-1 when altercations started in the centre of the pitch when the final whistle blew, which resulted in a second yellow card and sending off for City’s Jake Cassidy. Manager Steve Watson confessed to not knowing a lot about what happened that resulted in Jake seeing red but he said he would consult with his players in the fullness of time.

Regarding the match, Watson confessed that Chester were the hardest side York had faced this season so must be doubly delighted to have taken all the points in a match that was in the balance until the final whistle with Chester blazing over the bar with seconds to go.

The match only really came to life in the 2nd half as regards quality football. The first half was typified by attritional play mainly in the centre of the park with occasional skirmishes and chances in the boxes. Steve Watson confessed to being frustrated by the naivety and lack of composure in York’s play in the first half but they did have chances with Harry Bunn rattling the bar early on and Cassidy forced a decent save from Chester keeper Louis Gray. At the other end Glendon had slipped through on the right and Jameson had to be alert to block his shot from a tight angle.

Almost out of nothing on the half hour came York’s first goal and it was a well worked effort from a corner which resulted in Barrow hitting his shot through a crowded area and Bunn deflected it past the flailing Chester stopper, his 2nd goal in 2 games. Chester responded but there was nothing of note to trouble York and the half ended with City leading 1-0.

The 2nd half saw both a raising in the work rate and quality of York City play and also the game overall was more entertaining with both sides displaying deft touches and well worked moves. It was Chester danger man Declan Weekes that made the first notable mark on the game in the 57th minute when he equalized from the corner of the box with a rifled shot that beat Jameson on his right hand post and the visitors were level and perhaps deservedly so. Just 8 minutes later Chester pressed again and just narrowly missed from a corner. But York countered with several quality attacks of their own one of which resulted in a corner. From the cross Akil Wright rose above the Chester defence to head in the from the tightest of angles as the ball squeezed in between the post and defender on the line. This emboldened York who were starting to click as the cobwebs from the forced hiatus were being blown away and moves and touches were coming off.

Chester set York hearts racing when they spurned 2 clear cut chances in the 83rd minute when Waring glanced just wide and in the 89th when they blazed over the bar from a few yards out. But there’s no taking away from York’s achievement and they were good value for the victory nevertheless as they converted their chances and garner 3 very valuable points to put them on the edge of the play off places. They will rue the inevitable suspension of their target man Cassidy in upcoming games though and it leaves a hole to fill and gives Potts a real opportunity to stake a claim for a regular place. Next up is Kettering at Bootham Crescent on Tuesday 8th December at 7.45pm